How are our candles made?
- Design - our containers are sourced, designed and decorated.
- Prepare - our containers are wicked, our wax, dyes, fragrances, and melting equipment are prepped.
- Melt - the wax is melted, any dyes and fragrances are added.
- Pour - the melted wax is lovingly poured into containers and molds.
- Cool - our candles are left to set overnight.
- Finish - any finishing touches are added to the candle or container.
- Burn - our candles are ready to be lit and enjoyed.
Our wax and wicks.
- 100% natural soy wax, 100% natural palm wax or 100% natural beeswax hand poured candles.
- All of our wax comes from New Zealand based suppliers who ensure sustainable sources.
- NO GMO materials, NO paraffin, NO unnatural or toxic additives and Kosher certified wax.
- Flat-braid, Textile cotton wicks used as they offer cleaner burning with less mushrooming.
- High quality fragrance oils used are made of a combination of both natural and synthetic materials which contain no phthalates, paraffin or UV inhibitors. All are highly purified and distilled.
Our skincare ingredients.
- Certified Organic Cocoa and Shea Butter.
- Cold-pressed Virgin Carrier Oils.
- Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils.
- All of our ingredients come from New Zealand based suppliers.
- Toxin Free, NO added nasties!
- Recycled materials are used where possible, as a result of this, minor "defects" may be present in some cases e.g. small paint chip in painted glassware.
- All of our containers are upcycled to encourage you to reuse them once they are empty.
- You are welcome to supply your own containers to be filled with wax or skincare products; contact us for more details.
- For each one of our skincare containers you return to us (empty and cleaned) you will earn a 50c store credit!
- Any candle containers purchased from Kiwi Candlecraft & Skincare are entitled to a discount of 30% off the original purchase price for refills when candle is finished to help encourage recycling and reward repeat customers; contact us for more details.
Our candle care tips.
By following these simple steps you can ensure your candle burns cleanly and safely every time:
- Remove all candle labels and cellophane before burning.
- Protect surfaces with a candle plate or bowl to catch any spilt wax and only burn candles on heat resistant surfaces.
- Always trim wick before burning, 5mm should do nicely, and make sure to remove any wick debris each time.
- Burn candles for no longer than 4 hours each time. This will help to ensure efficient use of the candle in a safe manner.
- When burning a candle for the first time, make sure you burn it long enough to create a large "memory" hole. This hole will determine the way the candle will burn each time it is lit. This is of particular importance with soy candles.
- Always store candles out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets at all times.
- Most importantly, never leave a burning candle unattended.
Our body butter care tips.
- Store your body butter in a cool, dark place to prevent melting and ensure it stays fresh. Continued exposure to sunlight may cause natural degradation in the product ingredients over time as we don't add any nasty, toxic chemicals to prevent this.
- If your body butter melts in Summer, simply pop in in the refrigerator to harden it again.
- If your body butter hardens in Winter, just warm it in your hands with your own body heat or place the jar in a bowl of warm water until it softens.
Why do some candles sweat?
Soy wax sometimes releases excess oil in the form of small moisture droplets on the candles surface. The cause of this is usually significant temperature changes (as may occur during shipping). This will not affect the candles performance in any way and will not usually reappear after the initial burn. To remove this oil simply wipe off gently using a paper towel. To help prevent this, follow the care instructions above.
Why do some candles have white patches on them?
Frosting, a.k.a "blooming", is a natural characteristic of soy wax; it is not a flaw, and is unique to 100% pure soy wax candles. It is a quick and easy way to tell if a candle is truly made with 100% pure, all-natural soy wax. Frosting won't effect the scent throw or the way a candle burns at all. It is caused by the formation of crystals that are found in vegetable oils.