What are soy candles?
Soy candles are made from soy wax, the hydrogenated form of soybean oil which is extracted from the seeds of the soybean. Soy candles are vegetable based as opposed to other common candle waxes such as beeswax, a natural by-product produced by bees, or paraffin wax, which is petroleum based. To make soy wax the soybeans are harvested, cleaned, dried, and then their husks are removed by threshing*. The husks are an important constituent of animal feeds as they are extremely rich in digestible fibre. What is left of the soybean is then rolled out into flakes and screw-pressed to help extract the oil. Here at Kiwi Candlecraft & Skincare our soy wax is sourced through a New Zealand supplier who buys directly from an eco-friendly, renewable soybean producer in the US who is Kosher certified.
What are the benefits of soy candles?
- Clean burning - Soy wax is non-toxic and it burns cleaner than paraffin wax, with no petrol-carbon soot which can blacken walls, ceilings, and furniture, as well as add toxic carcinogens into the air you breathe. Soy wax contains less pollutants so it is less likely to trigger allergies.
- Long burning - Soy wax has a lower melting point than paraffin wax, creating a longer lasting candle.
- Renewable resource - Soybeans are a renewable source, unlike paraffin, which consists of petroleum. This fact alone makes soy candles a more environmentally friendly option.
- Biodegradable - Soy wax is made from soybean oil and, being vegetable-based, is naturally biodegradable. This also means soy wax is easier to remove from surfaces such as carpet or clothing as it is water soluble.
How can I tell if my candle is soy?
A quick and easy way to tell if a candle is truly made with 100% pure, all-natural soy wax is whether or not it has any frosting. Frosting, a.k.a "blooming", is a natural characteristic of soy wax and will look like your candle has white patches on it. It is caused by the formation of crystals that are found in vegetable oils. Frosting is not a flaw, and is unique to 100% pure soy wax candles. It doesn't affect the scent throw or the way that a candle burns at all.
Check out Kiwi Candlecraft & Skincare's range of eco-friendly soy candles here.
* For more information about the processing of soybeans visit the National Soybean Research Laboratory page.